Spawning Salmon Tours
Post Secondary: $120
Type of Clientele served: Group Tours, School Groups, Corporate Groups
Classification of Packages: Outdoor adventure, Hiking/Walking, Canoeing, Kayaking, Guided tours, Boat excursions
Product Interest: Boating, Walking, Wildlife, Aboriginal village sites, Vegetation education, Salmon pawning education
Dates: Open seasonally from mid-August to mid-November. Subject to when the salmon are spawning.
Duration: 5 Hour Tour
Group Size: Minimum of 15 adults or 30 students
Existing Since: 1999
Company Profile: Takaya Tours is a premier, cultural tourism business owned by the Tsleil-Waututh Nation (TWN) of North Vancouver. Operating from bases in Cates Park (Whey-Ah-Wichen) in North Vancouver and (Tum-tumay-wheuton) in Belcarra Regional Park, Port Moody. Takaya Tours offers a range of safe and exciting activities that mix outdoor adventure with an authentic interpretation of Coast Salish culture.
Tour description: Salmon is a very sacred and respected fish for the West Coast First Nations of British Columbia. When it’s time to give birth to the next generation they make their life’s journey back to their birth place. Salmon is a keystone species for the Tsleil-Waututh Nation. Since time out of mind Tsleil-Waututh have occupied the Indian River watershed and been stewards for Indian River salmon. Come and join Takaya Tours new “Spawning Salmon Tour” from mid August to mid November for an experience you will never forget! While on the “Spawning Salmon Tour” you can expect to see a host of other wildlife species such as seals, river otters, eagles and a variety of other birds. We will also be in the active habitats of deer, elk, black bears, cougars and even wolves. Although sighting any of these larger animals is less likely, the possibility is ever present. Our fully trained guides will walk with you through the ancestral trails along the Indian Arm River banks where the fish pools are. The trails are moderate for everyone to come and experience the tour. We look forward to seeing you.
Example Group Tour Itinerary
Tour: Group Tour 5
Date: August 21
Activities: Salmon Spawning Tour
Time: 11:00 am to 4:00 pm
10:50 am Meet at Cates Park, North Vancouver
• Take the first exit off the Second Narrows bridge (Dollarton Highway Exit)
• Follow Dollarton Highway east until you reach Cates Park, approx. 7 minutes from the Second Narrows bridge
• Meet at the covered picnic tables by the dock
11:00 am Traditional Welcoming
11:10 am Boat Safety Instruction
11:15 am Boat to different areas up Indian Arm, Village sites, Spawning sites, etc.
4:00 pm Good-byes
Itinerary subject to change without notice
Payment Terms and Policies:
- Takaya Tours requires bookings to be 2 weeks in advance with a credit card number or 50% deposit to guarantee reservation date
- We accept Visa, MasterCard, cheques and cash
- If tour is cancelled with less than 48 hours notice, 50% of total bill will be charged
- Tours will proceed rain of shine, and will only be cancelled if Takaya Tours deems that the conditions are unsafe
- All participants are required to sign medical and liability release form before activities